Wednesday, December 25, 2019

First Christmas without my Dad...

Really missing my Dad today.


1953--My first Christmas in the first house that my Dad and Mom built themselves from this simple plan that he drew. The house was 400 square feet. It was meant to be the garage for the house that they were planning on building in the future on their lot on my grandfather's farm.



This house was 20 feet on each side, with a partition down the middle. Since it was never meant to be a house, Dad made plans for a "commode" outside with a path to it.

The future found them selling this home and moving to Scottsdale, AZ., where I grew up and where my Mom still lives in the house that they bought in 1958. The rocking chair that we're sitting in still sits in the living room there. The dress that I'm wearing is upstairs in my bedroom in a cedar chest.

That's a long way from their house at 3259 Seventh Street Road in Lower Burrell, PA. I googled it today. It's not the big house on the right side of the page, but the small one in the middle. It still stands.